INFORMATION Attn. foreign students

 I N F O R M A T I O N

 Attn. foreign students


Foreign citizens coming to Ukraine to study often face various problems. Pre-University Department and Visa Support Department of our University will do their best to solve them.

It’s highly recommended for students to get familiarized with the information below. We hope that these recommendations will help them avoid undesirable difficulties.

One should remember that all foreign students should abide the Laws of Ukraine as well as the Internal Regulations of the University and Campus along with the University’s Code of Conduct.







NUFT admits foreigners and stateless persons under the license and within licensed quantity limits. The National University of Food Technologies does not admit foreigners and stateless persons to its structural subdivisions.




(The list of required documents)



The professional training of foreigners and stateless persons is provided on the basis of the Law of Ukraine «On the legal status of foreigners and stateless persons» (link: (amended), Decree of President of Ukraine № 112/94 of 25 March 1994 «On arrangements of economic cooperation of regions of Ukraine with the adjacent border regions of the Russian Federation» (link: and Decree of President of Ukraine № 271/94 of 3 June 1994 «On arrangements of economic cooperation of regions of Ukraine with the adjacent border regions of the Republic of Belarus and administrative units of the Republic of Moldova» (link:, resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine №136 of 26 February 1993 «On training of foreign citizens in Ukraine» (link: (amended) and the order of the Ministry of education and science of Ukraine №1541 of 1 November 2013 «Some issues on the organization of enrollment and training (internship) of foreigners and stateless persons» (link:

The foreigners provided with the State fellowship under international treaties, State-level programs, other international obligations of Ukraine are admitted to studying with regard to the specialties provided for by the Ministry of education and science of Ukraine under the state order.

Foreign citizens have the right of education regardless of sex, race, nationality, social or property status, profession or occupation, beliefs, party membership, attitude to religion, creed, health status, place of residence and other circumstances.

The training in NUFT is provided under:

- the international treaties of Ukraine;

- the State-level programs;

- the agreements concluded with the physical and legal entities.

The University had started to establish its international relations in 1948 year. At that time training of the professionals of the food industry of Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Mongolia, China, India, the Middle East countries, Cuba, Poland, and Germany began.

Nowadays more than 200 foreign students are obtaining knowledge within the key training programs in our University.


NUFT has the License (link: for the training of foreign citizens for the University accession and external testing with the licensed year-enrollment of 100 applicants up to 2016.

Preparatory department for foreign citizens (link:


NUFT has the License (link: for the training of foreign citizens within the accredited courses (specialties) with the licensed year-enrollment of 400 applicants up to 2023.


The order of documents submission by the foreign citizens for University admission (link:


Full-time education:

1. List of documents (link:

2. Courses, specialty, and tuition fees (link:


Correspondence-course education:

1. List of documents (link:

2. Courses, specialty, and tuitions fees (link:





Key to the high performance

The foreign students should regularly attend classes, do their home assignments in time, enjoy sports and outdoors activities, have regular refreshment and rest, and take part in the cultural University’s life.

Students also should study at home, attend language-labs and consult with professors and tutors at classes.

Students should observe their class schedule, never miss classes without justifying reasons or be late. Every student should know that regular work during the academic semester will make the exam preparations easier as well as save his/her time.

A student who has missed 20% or more classes without any good reason is to face problems while terminating the course or even may be expelled from the University.


Disobeying of Academic Regulations, Penalties

Students, which miss classes without any good reason or fail to observe the Code of Conduct during classes or whilst in dorms are liable under the Code of Conduct.

If a foreign student violates the Law of Ukraine, she or he shall be punished according to the decision of the Acting Court of Ukraine of the respective jurisdiction.

The one guilty in the breach of the University Code of Conduct or the University Academic Code may be reprimanded or rebuked. In compliance with the terms of Individual Contract for studying at the Pre-University Department, a student may be expelled from the University after 3 rebukes or reprimands that had been issued.

The cessation of the Individual Contract for studying at the Pre-University Department entails immediate cessation of the accommodation in the students’ dorms, and the person found guilty shall immediately leave the hostel.

If the expelled individual refuses to leave Ukraine, she or he shall be deported to the country of origin under the Law in force, with the formal recognition of the above as a «Person non grate»; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine shall report to the Embassy of her or his country.


Daily routine and exams

The classes begin and finish according to the schedule. A class lasts 80 minutes. After every 80-minutes class there is a break. The students should be present in the auditorium before classes start. During the lessons they shall not visit the Dean’s office, canteen etc. The Dean’s office receives students after 2 p.m.

Students may consult with their professors during and after classes.

Student’s records are determined on the basis of tests, labs and individual work, credits and exams earned. Taking exams is allowed after passing of all mandatory tests, labs and tutorials. During the winter session students pass exam of the Russian (Ukrainian) language (written and oral) and credits of all other subjects. During the summer session (in June-July) they pass exams of Russian (Ukrainian) (written and oral), Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Economical Geography and credits of Engineering Drawing, Political Science, and Informatics. These exams are considered as the entrance exams to the University.

Student’s individual rating manifests on the 100-point scale, where:

·         1-59 points – unsatisfactory mark (under the ECTS it corresponds to the «F» mark (from 1 to 34 points) or «FX» mark (from 35 to 59 points));

·         60-74 points – satisfactory mark (under the ECTS it corresponds to the «E» mark (from 60 to 66 points) or «D» mark (from 67 to 74 points));

·         75-89 points – good mark (under the ECTS it corresponds to the «C» mark (from 75 to 81 points) or «B» mark (from 82 to 89 points));

·         90-100 points – excellent mark (under the ECTS it corresponds to the «A» mark).

In case the student earned an unsatisfactory mark, she or he is considered to have failed an exam.

The students, who have passed final exams successfully, may continue their studies at our University or elsewhere if she or he so desires.

During the examination session, students are required to be present at the exam in time according to the schedule. If they are late, they are not allowed to take the exam.

Late taking an exam is considered as an exceptional case, and may be allowed by the Dean in case all documents proving the reason for not taking an exam in time are submitted.

Students who have missed exams without any good reason may be expelled from the University.


Liquidation of the academic arrears

Students are obliged to pass examinations and tests by the deadline determined by the Dean's office.

In case of failure at the regular examination scheduled within an exam session, a student has to retake the exam within a two-week period after the session in question.

If a student has received three consecutive unsatisfactory marks, she or he is not allowed to retake these exams one more time, and shall be dismissed from the University because of the academic arrears.

The Dean’s office may allow a student to retake the exam in such cases:

- if a student has not pass tests or examinations because of the valid good reason;

- if a student has not pass only one or two credits or examinations or a credit and an examination.


After submitting control, graphical or laboratory assignments, a student will be allowed to pass a credit or an examination in a given subject.

To take an examination after the Dean's office deadline, a student should submit the application requesting to grant her or him admission on retaking an examination. She or he also has to guarantee a necessary payment for professor’s overtime work. The receipt of payment is to be presented to the International Relations Department, before permission for retaking an examination or credit will be issued.

In case of failure a student is expelled from the University and is obliged to leave the country according to set terms. The Dean's office sets the final date of departure.


Order of Addressing the Visa Support Sector and Dean's Office

In the course of studying a student may need to solve her or his personal problems: getting permissions, travel visas, different information, or obtaining assistance in choosing specialty, etc.

In every case, when the Dean's office or Visa Support Department have to issue a document or address any other institution, a student has to write a formal application indicating the name of the applicant, country of origin, academic group of the applicant and the matter of the request.

If there are doubts in filling the application, a student of the Pre-University Department should ask the staff of the Department dealing with foreign students to help.

Students’ applications and requests are considered by the Dean and the head of the International Relations and Academic Mobility Department.


The Dean's office is open from 14:00 till 17:00 every day, except for Saturday and Sunday.

Care of educational equipment and the University’s property

Students have to handle books, equipment and furniture of the University with care, keep the territory, workplaces and auditoriums in cleanness and due order. In case of damaging University’s equipment, a student should buy and return to the University the same item under the deed of conveyance.

In case of major violation, a student will be expelled from the University after having compensated for the damage.

During the laboratory or practical classes, students should strictly obey all orders of an instructor or lab-assistant. Switching on or turning on any equipment is allowed only after teacher or lab assistant’s permission has been given.


Some Rules of Residence in a Student's Hostel

It’s recommended for students to get up not later than 7 a.m., have breakfast, get prepared for the beginning of the working day, and come to classes on time. Students must be present in a classroom at 8:15.

Pre-University department classes finish at 14:15. After classes students have time for dinner, rest, doing home tasks, excursions and sport.

It’s recommended for the Pre-University department students to go to bed not later than 23:00 for having good rest.


Hostel rooms

Students live in the University hostel in rooms for two or three people.

Settling in a hostel, student receives the inventory list and the pass to the hostel. Student receives belongings and utensils according to the inventory list including: beddings, curtains, shelves, etc. The things listed in the inventory list should be used with care and then returned.

According to the Ukrainian Law it is prohibited to smoke in public places.

According to the Rules of Residence in a hostel, students must not drink strong drinks or come to the hostel in a state of intoxication.

Students must keep up cleanness in their rooms, maintain order and calmness, and use equipment, rooms, kitchens, toilets, elevators with care. Students should tidy up the rooms every day. Students must clean tables and stoves after cooking in the kitchens.

Students must not break the silence in the hostel. Singing loudly, playing musical instruments; listening to the radio, tape recorders, TVs aloud after 11 p.m. is prohibited in the hostel.

Students can be expelled from the University for breaking the rules of residence in a hostel.

In case a student have caused a damage to doors, windows, walls of rooms, sections or other equipment, the hostel administration draws up a statement to the Dean's office. Students who have caused damage must compensate it. She/he must buy the same items instead of the lost or spoiled ones and hands them over to the hostel.

Living in a hostel, a student should obey the Rules of Residence in a hostel. It guarantees safety and good relations with neighbors. In case of problem in a hostel, student can ask the hostel tutor for help, or address to the Dean’s office or the Department that is in charge of the foreign students (room B-408).

Students can invite visitors to their rooms after lessons only until 23:00. Visitors must leave a hostel at 23:00. In case anyone’s visitors cause problems, the student who invited them is considered responsible.


Organization of comfortable conditions of residence

There is a kitchen and other household rooms in every section of a hostel.

Students buy necessary tableware, kitchen utensils by themselves according to their wishes and needs.

If students live in a room for two or three people, they are suggested to buy kitchen utensils for general purpose (a teapot, saucepans, frying pans and others) to share. Students should get and use individually such personal kitchen utensils as plates and forks, knives, cups, glasses, spoons, etc. Students should keep utensils clean, tidy up a kitchen and a room after cooking.

It is better to buy foodstuffs in a shop, not of private vendors on streets. To avoid food poisoning, always check quality and good condition of products.

Students wash personal things and buy detergents for washing machines by themselves.


Personal security and safety of personal belongings

To provide personal security, it is recommended not to invite unknown or unfamiliar persons to the hostel and rooms. Do not go for a walk in the evening alone. Be attentive and careful! Take care of your personal documents and money whilst in public transport. Beware of pickpockets!


There is a check-room in a hostel, a place to store student’s personal belongings.

Storage of personal documents

Students of Pre-University Department are provided with the documents, which give them the right to use the library, hostel, receive discounts and other privileges. The most important of them are the following:

·         a national passport;

·         the contracts (for study, for living in hostel);

·         a student's card;

·         an examination card;

·         a pass to a hostel;

·         an insurance policy;

·         a personal identification code and other documents.

Loss of these documents deprives a student of the possibilities provided for her/him being a student. Every student should keep the documents responsibly and not lose them.

In case of losing any of the documents in question, student has to inform the Dean's office or Visa Support Department immediately. In case of losing the national passport, its owner must report the loss to the police station of that area where the passport has been lost at once, and to receive the document confirming the said loss from the police authorities. After producing this document to the officials at your country’s Embassy, you will be issued a new passport.

Money is recommended to keep in small banknotes, so that strangers could not take them easily, or in a bank. It is necessary to do all operations with currency with a documentary proof of a transaction, confirming the legitimacy of the currency transactions. When the documents proving the legitimacy of the currency transactions are absent, the following sanctions such as confiscation of goods, accusation of the involvement in the criminal acts or administrative pursuit can be applied.



If for any reasons a student does not wish to live in the hostel, she/he should refer to the Dean’s office to get the permission and conclude a Contract for renting an apartment. In order to get the permission for living in a private apartment, a copy of the Contract filled in and signed by the landlord, ensuring safe dwelling for the student, have to be submitted to the Dean’s office. A copy of a Contract shall be submitted to the Department (B-408).


Staying in the city

The students can enjoy visiting museums, cinemas, sport events, having walks round the city in groups or on their own at any convenient to themselves time.

In order to avoid problems whilst being away from the University or hostels it is necessary:

- to familiarize yourselves with the cultural aspects of behavior in the city, relations among Kyiv residents of different age groups, the time for safe walks and other issues;

- when on walk, it is desirable to be accompanied by group mates or senior fellow citizens rather than being alone;

- if you do not know the way to the hostel from the downtown, ask somebody to help you;

- visiting casinos and other gambling places is illegal.

In case an unpleasant incident, let your tutor or Dean’s office know about it and they will do their best to help you.


In case you are detained by the police

The police officers can stop you in the street and ask for your passport or student’s identity card.

If your passport has been taken for the registration, you will be given a temporary document with your photo identifying your personality.

You can be detained by the police for clarifying some matters not more than for 2 hours, in case if you are without passport or student’s identity card.

When detained, ask the police officers to call to the International Relations Department, hostel or your teacher. The telephone numbers will be given to you in the International Relations Department.


The termination of studying at the Pre-University Department

Registration Card

On finishing the Pre-University Department, students have to return borrowed books to the library, all the belongings and utensils of the hostel to its superintend and receive necessary signatures in a registration card stating that the bearer of this card is not indebted.

In case you have damaged or lost a book borrowed from a library, you have to buy the same item or reimburse its cost in full. All contradictions arising thereof as well as arising out of the student’s disagreement as to the cost of the damaged items are to be brought before the Administrative Court.

A Registration card, an Examination Card and student’s identity card are to be returned to the International Relations Department. A visa and a passport will be provided as well if the students wish to leave for holidays.


Useful advices

Regardless of the reasons of being expelled from Pre-University Department and termination of the period of stay in Ukraine, every foreign student should inform the International Relations Department about the date and the place of their departure for further studies. When moving to another city/town in order to continue studies, it is highly recommended that the students hand over their passports for registration in Kyiv prior to 2 weeks before departure, for it will remove the problem with registration in other towns/cities.

When going to the country of origin, the checking of registration is not necessary. Sometimes when going to home country or to the third countries it is necessary to get a transit visa in the Embassies If you need to move to another town to get to know about the conditions of studying in the University you want to apply to for further studying after Pre-University Department, it is necessary to get the permission for the trip in the International Relations Department.


Violation of the Law of Migration in Ukraine

Students that do not inform in due time of their further place of staying after finishing Pre-University department are subject to legal penalties for infringement the Laws of Ukraine. Such students are considered to be deprived of the valid legal status. The information about such students shall be disclosed to police. In case of their detection on the territory of Ukraine, they shall be punished according to the Law.


University and the city

During your first days of staying, your fellow countrymen and professors will help you to find out about the location of students’ hospital, marketplace, banks, shops, etc. While studying the history of Ukraine, you will go on different excursions and get acquainted with Kyiv, its historical and cultural monuments, educational institutions, with University and its campus, other Ukrainian cities and towns.

Trips to other cities of Ukraine on excursions are only permitted during vocational period within a group of students guided by a tutor.



Food stores are open daily from 8:00 to 20:00, many shops work 24/7. Household goods shops are open from 10:00 till 19:00 with a break from 14:00 to 15:00 and closed on Sundays. The opening and closing hours may differ in different shops. The working time of a particular shop may be different. ATMs work 24 hours per day.


Bank services

The state banks or banks having the state license with the 7-year work experience can guarantee the security in your money storage.

Opening a bank account it is advisable to know about interest rates which are offered by the bank, cost of bank transactions, how long the bank is in the market, whether the bank has commercial ties with the bank at your home place and how can you receive the money from your country.


Public transportation

Public transport is available from 6:00 to 24:00.

It is possible to get to down-town by trolleybus № 1 and by metro from Lybidska metro station to Ploshcha Lva Tolstogo station and by shuttle bus № 412.

Tickets for all kinds of transport, except for the metro, can be bought in special booths at public transport stops or directly in the bus or trolleybus. To have a ride in a metro it is necessary to buy a token right near the metro station entrance.

Monthly travel passes for all kinds of transportation (except for shuttle bus) with discounts are available for students.


We wish you to avoid all unnecessary problems.


All right Reserved.

Created by MaFF.