What is EFFoST?
European Federation of Food Science & Technology (EFFoST) is a non-profit association that federates food science and technology organisations in Europe, from east to west and south to north. EFFoST is the European group of the International Union of Food Science & Technology (IUFoST), which in turn is a full member of the International Council for Science (ICSU), the scientific organisation of the United Nations (UN).
EFFoST aims to:
- Develop closer contact between food producers and distributors, universities and research institutes
- Enhance rapid technology transfer from ideas/research into indstrial applications to improve European competitiveness
- Promote continuing professional development and educational excellence within food science and technology
- Harmonise food legislation and enforcement programmes throughout Europe
- Maintain a collaborative network of (research) organisations within the European food industry aimed at cooperation and 'knowledge sharing'
- Develop publications, and organises events of industrial relevance, including legislation and its enforcement.
The activities of EFFoST are co-ordinated by an Executive Committee with members drawn from industry, academia and government. The Executive Committee reports to the General Assembly. Members of the General Assembly are delegates appointed by the national bodies adhering to IUFoST and EFFoST. The EFFoST secretariat executes and supports the decisions reached by the Executive Committee.